The North Hastings community began planning for a hospital in 1924 by raising $10,000 to pay for a building (now occupied by the Ontario Provincial Police). The building was opened in 1927. Many of the same citizens rallied to provide the next hospital building which opened in 1949 under the auspices of the Red Cross Society.
The Red Cross Hospital was subsequently merged with Belleville General Hospital in 1983, and was given the name "North Hastings District Hospital". It underwent an expansion in 1985, whereby the Emergency Department was enlarged to accommodate a Radiology room and three additional stretcher bays. Health records and Administrative space were also added at that time.
The hospital became known as "Quinte Health Care North Hastings" upon the amalgamation of the hospitals in Bancroft, Belleville, Picton, and Trenton in November, 1998. In April 2002, patients, employees, physicians, and volunteers moved into a new hospital building located at 1-H Manor Lane in Bancroft. The hospital is co-located with the Hastings Centennial Manor, run by Hastings County in what is known as the "North Hastings Health Centre". Once again, significant community support was provided to raise funds, plan and build the new hospital. The result is a well-designed and functional facility that will serve the community for generations to come.