PECMH REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT
- Click here to view the latest quarterly PECMH Redevelopment update - OCTOBER 2017
- Past updates: July 2017 April 2017 January 2017 Fall 2016 July 2016 April 2016 January 2016
- Like our PECMH Redevelopment Facebook page!
Local health care partners are working toward building a new hospital in Prince Edward County.
Quinte Health Care, the Prince Edward Family Health Team and the South East Local Health Integration Network have been working together to submit a proposal to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for a new hospital to be located in Picton. This has been made possible through funding support from the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital Foundation, the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital Auxiliary and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Together the partners are creating a plan for a new hospital building that would be part of a health care campus in Picton. The campus would provide access to a wide range of primary care services in one location – family physicians, nurse practitioners, outpatient clinics, an emergency room, inpatient beds and community support services – creating a more efficient system of care that is responsive to the needs of patients and their families.
The following visual shows the process of approval through the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. It's a lengthy process, but building a new hospital for the residents of Prince Edward County remains QHC's top development priority.
Commonly asked Questions:
Why build a new hospital?
The potential benefits for Prince Edward County residents would be easier access to a wide-range of primary care services close-to-home; greater efficiency for the health care system; improved patient satisfaction; and a healthier community. It would also allow for even better recruitment and retention of all health care professionals.
Why can’t you just redevelop the current hospital space?
The option of redeveloping the current PECMH building was carefully examined by the engineers, architects and representatives from the Family Health Team and QHC clinical areas. However, the current hospital was built more than 50 years ago and does not meet today’s standards for building codes, infection control or delivering hospital based care. It is only about 10% cheaper to redevelop an older hospital building, rather than building new, and we would lose out on many of the benefits of a newly designed hospital building.
The team is recommending that the Ministry of Health build a new hospital on a greenfield site because of: the cost of redeveloping versus building new; the condition of the current building utilities; and the challenges of providing care in a hospital undergoing many years of construction. In addition, a new building will allow for many additional benefits to the patients, staff and physicians, such as bathrooms in every patient room.
What is the cost of building a new hospital and how much will come from donations?
We are too early in the planning to be able to give concrete numbers, but a hospital of this size costs in the range of about $50 million for construction and equipment, in today’s dollars.
For any hospital redevelopment project in Ontario, the Ministry of Health covers 90% of the construction costs. The remaining 10% of the construction and ancillary costs, plus 100% of the equipment costs must come from local community fundraising. The Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital Foundation would need to be able to raise in the range of approximately $12 million (in today’s dollars) to cover what we anticipate will be the local share of this project. It is going to take a significant future fundraising campaign and significant commitment from the local community to build a new hospital in Picton, but the long-term benefits to current and future generations will be substantial.
Why does it take so long to get approved to build a new hospital?
We know it may be years before shovels go in the ground to start building a new hospital, but we must continue to work through the approval process with the Ministry of Health and be vocal advocates for its success.
Can you even be sure you will get Ministry approval after all this investment and work?
There are never guarantees of success, but we are highly optimistic that we will be successful in bringing a new hospital to Prince Edward County. The LHIN support and involvement in this project is a huge benefit to help move this through the process. The bottom line is that even without a guarantee of success, building a new hospital in Picton is absolutely the right thing to do, for the current residents of Prince Edward County and for future generation.